Should you Worry if your Cat Vomits?
Should You Worry if Your Cat Vomits
You’ve just settled down with a well-earned cup of tea at the end of a long day and as you recline on your sofa, you hear the sound that makes your heart sink. It starts as a low guttural growl, then comes a series of soft repetitive heaves, each accompanied by an “urk” sound, and culminates in the splattering noise that tells you your cat has just vomited.
There is no worse sound in the world - right? The only thing that can make it worse is that it isn’t the first time and you know there’s an expensive vet visit in your imminent future!
Here’s everything you need to know about your cat and vomiting.
Just like humans, occasional vomiting in cats is no cause for concern, however, if your kitty has vomited more than 3 times in a 24-hour period or has only vomited once per day for 3 consecutive days, then you should go immediately to your vet and get them checked out.
There are a number of reasons why your cat could be vomiting and things like hairballs and overeating are 2 common, yet benign ones.
Sometimes though, vomit can indicate a serious medical concern, like:
- They have ingested something poisonous and it’s upsetting their stomach.
- They have a bowel condition like IBS
- They have a bowel obstruction - this is especially common in younger cats who have eaten something that they shouldn’t (Curiosity killed the cat - it’s a real thing, y’all. Luckily they have 9 lives!)
- They have food allergies - if you suspect your cat has a food allergy, you can do this quick and easy at-home test.
- They have parasites, like worms.
- They have a systemic illness, for example, kidney disease, pancreatitis, or hyperthyroidism
So please be sure to take your kitty to the vet if they are having more than just the occasional vomit.
Caring for your cat’s health can turn into a costly endeavor, which is why I recommend that all pet parents have health insurance in place to help cover the costs of any health concerns that may arise.
Keep giving your pets the best of natural life!
April Arguin A.S., C.P.N., M.P.H